Index » Content

Canadian Military Service Records

I have received quite a few emails from family members wanting to learn more about a loved ones service in the Second World War. The best source for this information is their military service record.

Service records from the Second World War are not available online (WW1 service records can be found online). If you wish to obtain a copy of your family members (or your own) service record, you have to submit your request to Library and Archives Canada by fax or mail.

From Archives Canada:

Military personnel files include documentation about enlistment, discharge, military units served with, and may also include other documents concerning medical history, medals awarded, personal evaluation reports and dentalcharts.

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual’s Records:

- Your request must be signed.
- To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
- If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
- Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
- Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a "genealogy package," which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual’s service.
- We do not accept e-mail inquiries for these records. Inquiries must be sent by mail or fax.
- Your request can be written as a letter or you can print off a blank copy of the Application Form [PDF 108 KB], which should be filled in, signed and sent by mail or fax.

Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:
ATIP and Personnel Records Division
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
Fax: 613-947-8456

The following the pdf form you can print out and mail or fax to Archives Canada:Click on the image to download the .pdf file.

Access Restrictions:

Access to personal information relating to an individual who is still living requires that person’s signed consent.

If the individual has been deceased for less than 20 years, limited information may be released to immediate family. Proof of death and relationship must be provided.

There are no restrictions on access to information relating to an individual who has been deceased for more than 20 years. Proof of death is required.

Proof of Death: A copy of a death certificate, newspaper obituary, funeral notice or photograph of the gravestone. Note that proof of death is not required if the individual died while in service.

Proof of Relationship: A document that clearly demonstrates the relationship between the individual concerned and the person requesting the record. Both names must appear on the document. A newspaper obituary, baptismal certificate or full-form birth certificate are acceptable. A wallet-sized birth certificate that does not indicate parents’ names is not accepted. Please do not send original documents; photocopies are acceptable.

Immediate Family: A parent, spouse, child, sibling or grandchild of the individual

If you wish to submit a formal request under privacy legislation, see:

Last updated on Nov 1, 2007 22:17. Page viewed 22388 times.