Old 12-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Atrian42

Default RCAF WW2 rank abbreviation

I found a discharge certificate for an airman from the RCAF issued in 1946. The rank abbreviation is DAC. Does anyone know what this stands for?
Atrian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrian42 View Post
I found a discharge certificate for an airman from the RCAF issued in 1946. The rank abbreviation is DAC. Does anyone know what this stands for?
Atrain, I see no one ever got back to you on this.. Is the record clear, or "fuzzy", why I ask is possibly it say's LAC, which is Leading Aircraftman in the RCAF.

Royal Canadian Air Force
Aircraftman 2nd Class (AC2) equiv to todays rank as a Private
Aircraftman 1st Class (AC1) equiv to todays rank as a Private
Leading Aircraftman (LAC) equiv to Private
Corporal (Cpl) Corporal equiv to todays rank as a (Cpl)
Sergeant (Sgt) equiv to todays rank as a Sergeant (Sgt)
Flight Sergeant (F/Sgt) equiv to todays rank as a Warrant Officer (WO)
Warrant Officer 2nd Class (WO2) equiv to todays rank as a Master Warrant Officer (MWO)
Warrant Officer 1st Class (WO1) equiv to todays rank as a Chief Warrant Officer (CWO)

But, having said that, let me search further to see if I can find anything

Last edited by Temujin : 03-04-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Spaniard
The Lady From Hell!

Looks like this one got under the Radar, Mr. Barry.

Welcome to CAW, In the RCAF NO Rank that I know off hand with the Abbreviation DAC.

C.U.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Dan logan

Default Re RCAF ranks

Actually LAC is Leading Aircraftman, there is no "s" in Aircraftman.

LAC is not a rank such as corporal or sergeant. LAC is trade designation
Dan logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan logan View Post
Actually LAC is Leading Aircraftman, there is no "s" in Aircraftman.

LAC is not a rank such as corporal or sergeant. LAC is trade designation
Thank you, of course you are right, I missed that on my post (sometimes typing to fast I guess). I'll correct

On Leading Aircraftman, I believe it was a "rank",
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ir_Force#Ranks
Information page vi, "They Shall Not Grow Old"
Information from Canadian Army Training Phamphelt No 1, dates 1942 (give's army and airforce enlisted ranks.....but strangely leaves out the Navy enlisted ranks, ALTHOUGH it give's all 3 services "Officer's Ranks" for 1942)

Leading aircraftman is also a rank in the Royal Australian Air Force (which uses a single chevron rather than a propeller device), Royal New Zealand Air Force, Indian Air Force, Ghana Air Force and the Sri Lanka Air Force, and until 1968 was a rank in the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The original Royal Canadian Air Force used a rank structure[64] similar to that of the Royal Air Force, with the exceptions, in the enlisted ranks, of the RCAF having the ranks of Warrant Officer 1 and 2, not having the ranks of Senior Aircraftman or Junior Technician, and not distinguishing between aircrew and non-aircrew for Sergeants and above. The rank structure is almost identical to that of the Royal Australian Air Force, once again with the exception of Warrant Officer 2. RCAF Women's Division personnel used a different rank structure. When the age limit for BCATP aircrew recruits was lowered to seventeen in 1941, the recruits were placed into the temporary rank of "Boy" until they reached their eighteenth birthday and became eligible for flying training.[65] The current RCAF uses the army-style ranks instituted by the Canadian Forces when unification took place in 1968.

But having said that, I'm not an expert in RCAF WW2 ranks so I stand to be corrected if others can post up "official" sources of the RCAF ranks

Thanks and Cheers

Last edited by Temujin : 03-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote