Old 09-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
sharkie

Default 5th Anti tank regiment

Hello
Yes I'm a newbie and also new to the whole forum thing. I live in Vancouver and I am an automotive technician. I have 3 children and my oldest son has a keen interest in WW2 facts as do I. This site has given me a great deal of enjoyment searching out WW2 info. I am currently researching my Fathers WW2 history. He was part of the 5th A/tk regiment and a Sergeant of an M10 in the 14th Battery. I was able to make contact with 2 of the CAW forum members and did get a good deal of help. However, it seems that all of a sudden they will not respond to my emails. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not posting correctly? Is there a way to remedy this situation or should I just wait? It has been 3 or 4 weeks and no response. Both of the contacts were made to a personal email address... is that a no no? Should the correspondence be posted for all to see? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
Hello
Yes I'm a newbie and also new to the whole forum thing. I live in Vancouver and I am an automotive technician. I have 3 children and my oldest son has a keen interest in WW2 facts as do I. This site has given me a great deal of enjoyment searching out WW2 info. I am currently researching my Fathers WW2 history. He was part of the 5th A/tk regiment and a Sergeant of an M10 in the 14th Battery. I was able to make contact with 2 of the CAW forum members and did get a good deal of help. However, it seems that all of a sudden they will not respond to my emails. Am I doing something wrong? Am I not posting correctly? Is there a way to remedy this situation or should I just wait? It has been 3 or 4 weeks and no response. Both of the contacts were made to a personal email address... is that a no no? Should the correspondence be posted for all to see? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sharkie, welcome to the CAW forums. First, there is no right or wrong way to use this website. As you have probably seen, the website is to honour the men and women who served in Canada's Armed Forces from any period. We try to help everyone that has an inquiry or would like information. Our member's all volunteer their time and information.

Also, like any public forum, members come and go (with life challenges etc). So "where" the members you had connected with are I couldn't tell you. I know I personelly was away for a month on holidays......but I don't believe you contact me (unless it was under a different name).

We encourage the use of the forums for info, as then the info we find, can be used by all future members or people, like you, looking for information. Also, some of our members prefer to keep the details of their inquiries private, for privacy reasons, and that's OK to. I help lots of people "off line", so to speak. I always ask if they mind if I posted the info on the site, for all to read, but it's your choice.

Contacting members directly again is their choice. You willl note that I answer or research as much as I can for everyone, but Im not an expert in ALL things on this site by any means. So we have other's who are. Being an ex-Military engineer officer, I do have a lot more info on Engineers, but I've become a lot better at "researching" everything over the years so I usuallly can find info fast (cause I know where to look).

Having said all of that, feel free to contact members direct (if it''s OK with them) or by Private Message on this site, or by posting up your inquiry on the site and letting everyone read and response if they have knowledge.

You can see many members post multiple questions about everything, and we try to answer, or point them to the website that may have more info on the subject their looking for.

I believe our site has lots of threads about the 5th A/Tank Regiment, but if you have questions, or would like more info please let us know, by any method you choose

We're here to help.............and the best part, its all FREE, no adds, no need to donate (but you can if you wish, completely up to you)

Cheers, and again Welcome

Temujin

Last edited by Temujin : 09-30-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
sharkie

Thanks Temujin
Very nice of you to take the time to explain it all to me, I will continue my research and post things as they come in.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
sharkie

Default New Found Information

Hello Forum
I have found some more info on the 5th Anti tank regiment. Very interesting threads posted over on Maple Leaf Up. I was just looking around for anything to do with the M10s used by the 5th, and what I found was amazing...Here is the link
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10550