Old 10-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
djohnson

Default Info on Grandfather Laybolt

Hi folks I'm looking for any info on my grand dad's military service. The info I have found is he was a Private with the Lake Superior Regiment, I have an email letter sent to my grand mother form him has some numbers F35155 the writing is not very clear but that's what I get. I know he was also wounded while serving and was discharged sometime in 1945. Any info would be a great help as all of the older members in my family are now gone so I'm working with very little info

Thanks Debbie
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
Hi folks I'm looking for any info on my grand dad's military service. The info I have found is he was a Private with the Lake Superior Regiment, I have an email letter sent to my grand mother form him has some numbers F35155 the writing is not very clear but that's what I get. I know he was also wounded while serving and was discharged sometime in 1945. Any info would be a great help as all of the older members in my family are now gone so I'm working with very little info

Thanks Debbie
Hi Debbie, this is what were here for.

Can you give me any other info, birth date, date of death, home town...anything would help the search

His Regimental Number indicates he joined in Military District 6, which is Nova Scotia.

F35155 number indicates he originally joined the PLF which is the Princess Louise Fusiliers

I would suggest ordering his military records from Library and Archives Canada. Go to this link on our website, and it will tell you how to do this

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2887
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Temujin

Here's a link to the PLF and history

http://mgray.hopto.org/PLFus/

It also has a lot of WW2 pictures, that you may wish to go thru to see if you recognize him in any of the photo's
Old 10-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Temujin

Here's link to download the unit WW2 history.

The unit was part of the 5th Canadian Armoured Division, 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade and served as the 11th Independent Machine Gun Company (The Princess Louise Fusiliers) and part of the 12th Canadian Infantry Brigade and served as the 12th Independent Machine Gun Company (the Princess Louise Fusiliers)

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...77880786,d.cGU

Of course, we don't know if he served thru the war in this unit, the only way to be sure is get his military records
Old 10-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
djohnson

well what I have is he was born jan 31 1910 in Ship Harbour, Halifax, Nova Scotia he died oct 19 1957 also in Ship Harbour, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Last edited by djohnson : 10-26-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
well what I have is he was born jan 31 1910 in Ship Harbour, Halifax, Nova Scotia he died oct 19 1957 also in Ship Harbour, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Thank you. I'll see if I can find anything else. Knowing is date of date, LAC will allow you to order his complete military records, at the link I posted above.

I'll see what else I can find, do you have a first name please
Old 10-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #7
djohnson

Clement Edwin Laybolt i guess his name would help wouldn't it lol thanks so much for the help
Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Temujin

Is he

Clement Edwin Laybolt

Clement E Laybolt

Birth Date:

Death Date:

Cemetery:
St. Stephen's Cemetery

Burial or Cremation Place:
Ship Harbour, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada
Old 10-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
djohnson

yes thats him
Old 10-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
Temujin

I can't find anything else on him, my suggestion is to order his military records, which will confirm his unit, and where he served during the war