Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
deb

Default 408 Squadron RCAF

Hi, I am a new member trying to find any information on my uncle who was MIA August, 1942. He was a member of the 408 squadron of the RCAF. I found his name here, along with others who fell on the same day. I wondered if they are listed on the Memorial at Runneymede and were also members of the RCAF, would that mean they were in the same crew of the plane? My Mom just received his medals from a relative who passed away and she has asked me to look into his squadron and anything else I can find. My father is also a WWII veteran, age 87. He served with the Queens Own Rifles. Any help is appreciated. thanks
deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Spaniard
The Lady From Hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb View Post
Hi, I am a new member trying to find any information on my uncle who was MIA August, 1942. He was a member of the 408 squadron of the RCAF. I found his name here, along with others who fell on the same day. I wondered if they are listed on the Memorial at Runneymede and were also members of the RCAF, would that mean they were in the same crew of the plane? My Mom just received his medals from a relative who passed away and she has asked me to look into his squadron and anything else I can find. My father is also a WWII veteran, age 87. He served with the Queens Own Rifles. Any help is appreciated. thanks

Hi and welcome to CAW, it could be if on the same date, it should be on his Memorial page on CAW, however I'll need his name. You can get his service Records, the forms are supplied or contact them for further information.

Second World War Service Records, Killed in Action.

Only files for those who died in service during the Second World War are available to the public.

http://wwii.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2887

Last edited by Spaniard : 07-07-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
deb

Yes, I saw his page and that is where the others were listed, I went through them and only him and 3 others had Runneymede Memorial listed, the others had cemetaries. However, I cannot find any info on him listed on the RCAF 408 Squadron website, not even his name?? Will keep looking. thanks
deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb View Post
Yes, I saw his page and that is where the others were listed, I went through them and only him and 3 others had Runneymede Memorial listed, the others had cemetaries. However, I cannot find any info on him listed on the RCAF 408 Squadron website, not even his name?? Will keep looking. thanks
Deb, I'm just going thru older posts to see if our members have been helped. I note that you could probably use more help on your search.

If you would like to post the name, rank and service number (if you have them) we will see what we can find for you

Cheers
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Moose47

Default Hampden Crews MIA

G'day Deb

Here is a list of Handley Page Hampden Mk. I's lost by No. 408 'Goose' (B) Squadron during the month of August, 1942 where airmen were listed as missing in action.

12/13th of August, 1942
Hampden Mk. I s/n AE150
Coded EQ-M
F/L J. S. Coulter- R.C.A.F.
F/O R. C. Hodgson R.A.F.V.R.
Sergeant W. M. Gartside R.C.A.F.
Sergeant W. G. Gittings R.C.A.F

15th/16th of August, 1942
Hampden Mk. I s/n AE432
Coded EQ-S
F/L J. S. Cardell R.C.A.F.
P/O G. L. Staniar R.A.F.V.R.
Sergeant H. L. Jewell R.A.F.V.R.
Sergeant E. Mitchell R.A.F.V.R.

Cheers...Chris
Moose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
RAF Balderton

Dear Deb I am part of the RAF Balderton research group and 408 squadron where stationed at Balderton from December 1941 to September 1942 and I noticed that you were searching for losses in august 42 so here is a complete list for 408 squadron for that month
12/08/1942 Hampden AE150 EQ-M
F/Lt J S Coulter
F/O R C Hodgson
Sgt W G Gittings
Sgt W M Gartside

15/08/1942 Hampden AE432 EQ-M
F/Lt J S Cardell
P/O G L Staniar
Sgt E Mittchell
Sgt H L Jewell

27/08/1942 Hampden P1244 EQ-Y
Sgt A H Jennings