Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Reg

Default 4th Field Regiment

Looking for information on the 4th Field Regiment Royal Canaidna Artillery. Was it with the 2 or 3 division. Also where they were as Uncle Adrian J. LENNON was killed on 14 July 1944. Know where he is buried but trying to find out any information on the 4th Field Regiment. Also can you obtain his file from the National Archives and if so how do you go about it.
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
kez

4th Field Regiment RCA typically worked with 2 Cdn Infantry Division. 4th Fd is well covered by the George Blackburn books, he was a Forward Observation Officer for this unit. 'The Guns of Normandy' would seem to fit for you, though check out the others in the trilogy.

Detials on obtaining personnel files here:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/gene...909.007-e.html
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Temujin

Follow up information. His records tells us he was wounded (by Mortar's) on the 12th July 1944. The War Diary for the 4th Field Regiment, tells us that 'A' Troop, OP (Observation Post) was mortared and that one man was wounded and evacuated. Medical records tells us that he died 2 days later on the 14th July

Location: You can see in the War Diaries the Map Reference where the Regiment was, just SW of Carpiquet Airport. Of course the FOP (Forward Observation Post) would have been forward of this, closer to the enemy to "observe" targets and fall of shot.

From 1 January 1941 to disbandment on 19 September 1945, the 4th Field Regiment, R.C.A. was comprised of the following field batteries:

2nd (Ottawa) Field Battery, R.C.A.
14th (Midland) Field Battery, R.C.A.
26th (Lambton) Field Battery, R.C.A.

Last edited by Temujin : 02-05-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Temujin

I've prepared a map showing the location of the 4th Field Regiment on the 12th July 1944.

The RED STAR shows the location of the Regiment, Map Reference 948664

If you note on the War Dairies, the Regiment destroyed a "mortar battery" that same day, I am assuming (and I may be wrong) that this was the Battery that fired the rounds into the FOP and wounded him.

The BLUE STAR shows the location of the German Mortar Battery located at Map Reference 987631

This means, if I am correct, that the FOP would have been located somewhere towards the BLUE STAR

IF (I'm making an educated guess here) the Germans were using their standard infantry mortar it would have been a 8 cm Granatwerfer 34 (8 cm GrW 34). It was noted accuracy and rapid rate of fire. Max range of 2400 meters. So the FOP was probably located within this range of the BLUE STAR. Looking at the map, I may suggest that the "woods" between the BLUE and RED Stars may be a possible location or area around their. It is approx 1,000 meters from the BLUE STAR, so the FOP would have had "line of sight" to the Mortar Battery when they fired. (All of this is just assumption on the information presented in the War Diaries, they may have been further back, but I don't believe "closer" as the country side is more open as you leave the wooded area)

For maps, see the link Below, I used the 1:100,000 map of the CAEN area

https://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww2...Belg_Holl_home

Having said all the above, he 'may" have been wounded on the 13th July. His records are a bit confusing. One record says he was wounded on th 12th July and another record says he was wounded on the 13th July. IF??? He was wounded on the 13th July he may have been in 'B' Troop, which had a gun put out of action with 2 killed, 6 wounded (one later died in hospital). Unfortunately this says "shelled", but doesnt' state if it was artillery rounds or mortars. And we know he was wounded by Mortar rounds (medical records). My guess is he was wounded on the 12th?......but just a guess from all the info presented.

You may be able to confirm "which" Troop he was assigned to by obtaining the Part 2 orders, which would give more detail on the men killed and wounded (and evacuated). These records are available at Library and Archives Canada BUT you have to go there to see them, or hire a private researcher to get you the information

Last edited by Temujin : 02-05-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
Temujin

A follow up to the above, I examined all the documents (close up) and the document that I thought said 12th July I believe says 13th July.......(writing is very faint, but I "think" it was a number 3??)

So now I believe he was the man who was wounded on the 13th July, part of 'B' Troop gun, would died in hospital. That would put his position approximately at the RED STAR on the map in the above post. I say approximate, as the Map Reference given would have been for the 4th Field Regiments HQ's, the Battery's and guns would have been located "around" that area

Last edited by Temujin : 02-05-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Reg

Default 4th Field Regiment.

Temujin

Thank you for all your help that you have given me on my inquiries. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I have been travelling.
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
Temujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Temujin

Thank you for all your help that you have given me on my inquiries. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I have been travelling.
Your welcome. Let us know if you need any further help