Old 09-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
substatica
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Default NETD Non-Effective Transit Depot

Could someone explain the meaning of this term and/or the purpose of these depots? Seem to have to do with repatriation from England, perhaps for non-active personnel? Example below,

March 4, 1944
TOS 2 D.D. Wing Holding Coy in trans. From C.A. O/S & No. 1 N.E.T.D. for pay purposes F.A.P. L.P.

Bonus points for where No. 1 N.E.T.D. was located, I'm guessing Aldershot.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,051
Default

Try their War Diaries if you need the exact location:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/l...ResultCount=10

NETD​ - Non-Effective Transfer Depot. No. 1 NETD was a unit that cleared personnel for return to Canada from the UK either for courses, on medical grounds, unfit for service, for release, posting to position in Canada, compassionate reasons or for escorting POWs.

Tweedsmuir Camp was set up as Number One Transit Depot for handling thousands of medical and psychological cases during WWII and was referred to as 1 Non-Effective Transit Depot, or 1 NETD for short; an abbreviation that transient personnel soon modified to pet names such as "Not Enough To Drink, Nothing Else To Do, No Empties To-day, Non Efficient Tourist Depot and North Elstead Tourist Depot." (The fact that Tweedsmuir Camp stood south of Elstead seemed to be insignificant.) The camp was also responsible for clearing miscellaneous troops such as those transferring to the Royal Canadian Air Force, under age personnel and those who sought transfer to the USA Army in the UK.

Tweedsmuir Camp, situated between Elstead and Thursley to the north-west of Godalming.

http://www.tweedsmuirmilitarycamp.co...ds_wwii_1.html

Last edited by Temujin : 09-02-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
substatica
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Try their War Diaries if you need the exact location:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/l...ResultCount=10

NETD​ - Non-Effective Transfer Depot. No. 1 NETD was a unit that cleared personnel for return to Canada from the UK either for courses, on medical grounds, unfit for service, for release, posting to position in Canada, compassionate reasons or for escorting POWs.

Tweedsmuir Camp was set up as Number One Transit Depot for handling thousands of medical and psychological cases during WWII and was referred to as 1 Non-Effective Transit Depot, or 1 NETD for short; an abbreviation that transient personnel soon modified to pet names such as "Not Enough To Drink, Nothing Else To Do, No Empties To-day, Non Efficient Tourist Depot and North Elstead Tourist Depot." (The fact that Tweedsmuir Camp stood south of Elstead seemed to be insignificant.) The camp was also responsible for clearing miscellaneous troops such as those transferring to the Royal Canadian Air Force, under age personnel and those who sought transfer to the USA Army in the UK.

Tweedsmuir Camp, situated between Elstead and Thursley to the north-west of Godalming.

http://www.tweedsmuirmilitarycamp.co...ds_wwii_1.html
Thanks Temujin! You're a trove on this board. So the "non-effective" was referring to the persons it was transporting? Seems like an odd name.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,051
Default

noneffective
[non-i-fek-tiv]

adjective
1.
not effective.

2.
not fit for duty or active service, as a soldier or sailor.

noun
3.
a noneffective person.

From the Dictionary.
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
substatica
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
noneffective
[non-i-fek-tiv]

adjective
1.
not effective.

2.
not fit for duty or active service, as a soldier or sailor.

noun
3.
a noneffective person.

From the Dictionary.
Well there you go. What an oddly specific, not to mention outdated, usage to have in the dictionary.
substatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Temujin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by substatica View Post
Well there you go. What an oddly specific, not to mention outdated, usage to have in the dictionary.

Well, not really, the term (or a modern day derivative) is still used in science fiction:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGr4Uc7ebA
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.