Go Back   Canada at War Forums > Canada and Second World War (World War II) > SWW Canadian Soldier Research Help
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
Temujin

Good day I thought that was your intent as while I researching this for you I saw your name popping up on other web pages looking for specific info I'm not sure what else I can help with in this i've exhausted my search sites and i don't think Canadian records will shed much more light

If i can help further please let me know

There may be other members of this web site that can offer you more info or help with your search

Good luck and i wish you success in your search
Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Temujin

More info, I didn't search "hard" enough in the Ops Records books. after going back to the national web site, I found out that the "detail" for operations are in the "Appendices" to the Operation Record Book.

So I've now download the "first Appendices" and it is FULL of information. It details each raid, crew composition, bomb loads etc etc

The first download has 270 plus pages, so going thru it now. I'll send you a copy of the information by e-mail.

I have found one page so far, that shows when Sqd/Ldr Strutt flew to Malta, his crew on that flight etc.

There's also Sortie Reports, and so many have to go thru them and see what I can find.

I'll send you the doc's right away, and may have to download the second set of appendices if I can't find the right date. Fingers are crossed that we can come up with more info for you
Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Temujin

Darn just when you thought that you'd "discovered" the right path to the records, NOTHING.

I've gone thru the entire record, and the operations for that time period (1 Jan to 30 Jan 1943 are not there. They have a ton of material up to that date, and starting in March 1943 again another ton of material with exact crew make up, Wellington serials, bomb loads, time over target, observations of Battle Damage, etc etc, even including the engine type of each Wellington, but nothing for that time period. I was really trying to find out the other aircraft assigned to the mission, so you would have something to research (the other air crew) and maybe get there observations etc.

Sorry, I've gone thru the Brit National Archives records on line, and I don't see any additional information.

My next suggest is to visit the Public Records Office (if you can) and see the hard copies. Maybe the sortie reports for that time period haven't been digitized yet???

If I come up with anything else, of course I'll let you know

EDIT: sorry should have told you. The record I got on line was 104 Squadron, Catalogue Reference AIR 27/824, Image Reference 2, Royal Air Force, Operations Record Book, Appendices

Records are held at the:

Public Record Office
Ruskin Avenue, Kew, London, TW9 4DU, UK. Tel 0181 876 3444.

Last edited by Temujin : 04-01-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
Temujin

I found a web site (Royal Air Forces Register of Associations) that give a address of a contact point for 104 Squadron veterans.

the RAFRA web page is:

http://www.associations.rafinfo.org....sociations.htm

The 104 Squadron contact is:

104 Squadron - information point Norman Yarrington, 34 Hayes Road, Wolverley, Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY11 5UL: tel 01562 850603
see 104 history pa

Not sure if you've seen this site, I haven't worked my way throught it but thought I would pass it on:

http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/BCWW2Losses/default.htm
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Temujin

This book may also help in your research, I not sure as I haven't seen it, and I don't know what type of detail he goes into. It may be best to see if you can read a copy at your local library? I believe you would only have to see Volume 4, Losses for 1943

BOMBER COMMAND LOSSES of the Second World War
Author : W R Chorley, Midland Counties Publications, 4, Watling Drive, Hinckley, Leicestershire, LE10 3EY UK. 01455 233747. Fax 01455 233737.

Volume 1 : 1939/40 (1,217 losses) ISBN 0 904597 85 7 GBP 9.95

Volume 2 : 1941 (1,515 losses) ISBN 0 904597 87 3 GBP 12.95

Volume 3 : 1942 (2,035 losses) ISBN 0 904597 89 X GBP 15.95

Volume 4 : 1943 (3,100 losses) ISBN 0 904597 90 3 GBP 18.95

Volume 5 : 1944 (3,527 losses) ISBN 0 904597 91 1 GBP 19.95

Volume 6 : 1945 (1,085 losses) ISBN 0 904597 92 X GBP14.95

Bill Chorley's quite astonishing books are essential for any historian or researcher. Chorley details every single RAF Bomber Command loss; date, squadron (including training and conversion units, where a loss occurred on a regular operation), serial number, operation or target, and full crew list, with grave sites for those killed. Frequently annotated with notes and cross references, and with appendices dealing with PoW lists and loss analyses, the reader is left struck dumb with the amount of work which has gone into these volumes.

And this reference may also help??:

THE BOMBER COMMAND WAR DIARIES
Authors : Martin Middlebrook and Chris Everitt. Midland Counties Publications ISBN 1 85780 033 8. GBP 19.96 (paperback).

Hardly bedtime reading, but absolutely invaluable to anyone interested in Bomber Command's Operational History. Middlebrook and Everitt detail every operation undertaken by Bomber Command, with a breakdown of the aircraft involved, information on the raid and a synopsis of the aircraft lost. End appendices give squadron histories and all the numerical information anyone could possibly require. Cross referenced with the Chorley volumes, it all adds up to a massive databank.

Again I'm staggered by the sheer volume of labour which has gone into these books, as well as being deeply grateful that there are men of such calibre who are prepared to put so much effort into it all.

Last edited by Temujin : 04-01-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Temujin

FOUND IT

I found the record of the other aircraft on the same mission, on the Brit National Archives web site. I had to download a second record for the same dates and this record gives the aircraft and Aircraft Captains of each plane involved.

As it said in the Australian record, 7 aircraft for 104 Squadron "launched" that night, but if looks like at least 2 or 3 of them aborted there mission and returned to base. So the Aussie record is correct and that's why the original Ops Record only speaks about 4 aircraft, they were the only 4 of the 7 that reached there target that day (or I should say night as they launched at 1800 hrs and returned at 2300 hours) and it does show the original target was Tunis, so as the Aussie record indicated they diverted to there secondary target.

I'll send you the records by e-mail, so you can have them on file and then hopefully (maybe) you can trace the other crews and see if they have info on that mission

I also downloaded the month before (Dec 42) just in case it could point me in the right direction, but the second download of Jan 43 was the answer. I'll send you both files so that you can have them

Last edited by Temujin : 04-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #17
Temujin

Rafferty, I have been doing some follow up research on your request.

What I did, is try and find any of the crew members from Sqdn/Leaders Strutt's crew (Wellington EP-F), were located in any of the Allied War Cemeteries in the Tunisia area, and specifically in th Sousse area. I did this because the Australian record indicated that the plane was observed "immediately after saw an aircraft on fire on the ground 3 to 5 miles SSW of Sousse", and a report that the bodies of Sqdn/Ldr Strutt and Flgt/Sgt Yudell were recovered and buried, but this could not be confirmed after the war.

When I researched the Allied War Cemeteries, I noted that many of them have "unknown" servicemen buried there. In particular the Enfidaville War Cemetery, near Sousse, Tunisia has 88 "unknown" graves. In addition to this the Sfax War Cemetery has 52 "unknown", the Beja Cemetary has 87 "unknown", the Tabaraka Cemetery has 60 "unknown" and the Medjex-el-bab Cemetery has 385 "unknown".

I checked throught the list of casualties at the Enfidaville War Cemetery (this is the closest War Cemetery to Sousse, Tunisia) and I noted that they have quite a few allied air crew, including air gunners, navigators, pilots etc buried in the cemetery.

I'm just bringing this up, as their could be a chance that one or more of these "unknown" graves could be the crew of Sqdn/Ldr Strutt's aircraft, possible recovered but marked as "unknown".

Of course we may never know, unless DNA or other such testing was done on the remains and compared to existing family members (I'm familiar with this testing and procedures, as I worked for Canada's Federal Police force, RCMP, for 17 years).

I just thought I would bring this up, as I know that your research is trying to find the final resting place of the crew from that flight, as it was "reported" that at least two crew members remains had been found and buried, but never confirmed.

If there is anything else I can do to assist, please let me know, and I'll gladly try to do all I can for you

Last edited by Temujin : 04-02-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Rafferty

Default Isadore Yudell

Temujin.
You really have produced some great research and not quite sure how to say thank you for so much hard work. Big thank you.
I am going to Malta shorly to meet up with some Maltese who worked at Luqa. I have also made contact with a professor in Tunisia who wrote a paper on newspapers produced in Sousse during the war. He has kindly undertaken to research the papers during January 1943 to see if there is any mention of that night. If anything comes to light about Isadore Yudell I will pass to you if I may to deal with as you see fit.
Rafferty
Rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Temujin

Your very welcome, and I do wish you success in your search and research.

It would be great if you could keep us informed of any success, and of course we would ensure this web site is updated with any information you might find, and if you do discouver something about Flight Sergeant Yudell, and sent if to me, I would ensure it was added to the Canadian Virtual War Memorial so the family could see the information.

Thank you and good luck

Temujin

EDIT: and thank you for the Donation to the web site funds, most appreciated

Last edited by Temujin : 04-12-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Rafferty

Default Isadore Nicholas Yudell

Temujin,
Following on from all your help, I thought I would let you know that I have now discovered the origin of the "report" about the recovery of my Uncle and Isadore Yudell. The origin was the Red Cross and apparently - but yet to be confirmed - they may be buried at Enfidaville along with some, possibly all the crew. This info came via NAA (National Archives of Australia) as one of the crew was RAAF. The NAA records even identify a grave number for Flt Sgt GA O'Keefe RAAF. However, there is some conflicting cross referencing in these records which I need to try and resolve and which may reveal a different story. Anyway now doing some research with the Red Cross. I will keep you posted.
Rafferty.
Rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote